From: Jason Miller
Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2012 3:40 PM
Newsgroups: public.remedy.arsystem.general
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Querys that kill my system

** We have Large Result Logging turned on.  While it does show us some people
who could use some education it has never given us information (form/user)
regarding a query that hangs the system.  For some reason these hanging queries
do not seem to be logged by this feature.

We use the below MS SQL query to find the offending process and query but since
it is at the SQL level it doesn't tell us who issued the query.  I would love
to be able to correlated this with the thread log.  These hangs happens so
rarely now it doesn't warrant keeping SQL logging on at all times.

DROP TABLE #Processes

-- Field ID 240000007 = Description and Field ID 240000008 = Worklog
SELECT
             s.spid, BlockingSPID = s.blocked, DatabaseName = DB_NAME(s.dbid),
             s.program_name, s.loginame, ObjectName = OBJECT_NAME(objectid,
s.dbid), Definition = CAST(text AS VARCHAR(MAX))
INTO        #Processes
FROM      sys.sysprocesses s
CROSS APPLY sys.dm_exec_sql_text (sql_handle)
WHERE
            s.spid > 50;

WITH Blocking(SPID, BlockingSPID, BlockingStatement, RowNo, LevelRow)
AS
(
      SELECT
       s.SPID, s.BlockingSPID, s.Definition,
       ROW_NUMBER() OVER(ORDER BY s.SPID),
       0 AS LevelRow
     FROM
       #Processes s
       JOIN #Processes s1 ON s.SPID = s1.BlockingSPID
     WHERE
       s.BlockingSPID = 0
     UNION ALL
     SELECT
       r.SPID,  r.BlockingSPID, r.Definition,
       d.RowNo,
       d.LevelRow + 1
     FROM
       #Processes r
      JOIN Blocking d ON r.BlockingSPID = d.SPID
     WHERE
       r.BlockingSPID > 0
)
SELECT * FROM Blocking