Sandra,

Both SQL Server and Oracle are pretty stable.

I prefer Oracle because of the following reasons
1) Performs faster than MS SQL under ANY load especially when you have huge
databases running huge transaction volumes.
2) Has more functionality than MS SQL - especially when it comes to fine-tuning
performance or monitoring what is happening on the db in real-time.
3) It Runs on more OS'es than just (Mister Slow) Windows. e.g: Linux (When
running on non-Windows OS'es (like Linux),  your risk level for being exposed
to viruses is a lot lower.)
4) MS has too much of a monopoly - Supporting the likes of Oracle ensures one
vendor does not have a total monopoly.
5) Due to Oracle not being as easy to tamper with for non-dba's, you are
ensured that only the correctly skilled professionals are working on it,
reducing risk of outtages due to operator error.
6) All the reasons Axton and Joe mentioned as well.
7) Case sensitivity is not such a huge issue with Oracle, as is often thought.
Any DBA worth his salt CAN set up your Oracle DB to be Case-Insensitive.

We do use MS SQL a lot as well for smaller low-volume implementations where
budgets are very limited and fast performance is not a priority requirement.

So, to pick between the two, ask yourself this:
1) Do I want best possible DB performance and granular functionality and
control, that is more difficult to maintain without a DBA,  at a higher cost?
OR
2) Do I want a lower cost DB with an easy-to-use GUI that is limited in
functionality and will have slower performance?

If you do not already have an Oracle DBA and your answer for Q2 is yes, then go
MS-SQL, otherwise, go Oracle.

Best Regards,
Theo

Sent from my Black/Silver Personal Computer ....
“Try not to become a person of success, but a person of value.” – Albert
Einstein