I have not done this, but i beleive this can be done relatively quickly.

1. Create a form to hold rules, Dls/email ids for which corresponding
emails have to be sent and also unique notification tag for each rule
2. Create a simple form to hold incident ids(Minimal cstomization to core
modules). best would be a view form based on a simple queue table
created(Use of table is in step 3 below)
2. On creation/update of incidents, push an entry to form created in step 2
above
3. Create new entries on SYS:Notification Messages form to hold the
notification conent
3. Create job to run every x mins on Pentaho, job should perform following
actions(If pentaho is unavailable, it could also be done using your DBs job
mechanism). Pentaho is a better option as you can easily perform
transformation of the data in step 3 below

   - If there is an entry in the queue table, lookup rules form created in
   step 1 to find any matches
   - If match found, look up SYS:Notification Messages based on tag and
   retrive the content of the notificaions
   - Update the notifcation content based on real time data(have to lookup
   help desk view to get this)
   - Send emal using Pentaho's inbuilt capability
   - After email is sent, delete the record from queue

This should not involve too much of customizatios and since you are
building a config form to hold rules, its easily extendable

-Karthik