There's no best-practice that's globally correct across all potential
applications.

If there's a canned solution for a particular vendor, then that's the one
to use 9 times out of 10.

Email is good because it has built in store-and-forward and failover
mechanisms.  Email is bad because it introduces points of failure that may
not be in your control and it can be slow.

There are several options, but the most utilized would be geared towards
either Web Services or API level integration - ensuring that server side
workflow processing, permissions structures, etc. are all handled.

Between remedy servers, DSO (Distributed Server Option) is most frequently
used.  On occasion, people just use custom designed workflow.

It's always good practice to utilize an abstraction layer so that an
upgrade on one side of the integration does not necessarily mean an upgrade
on the other side of the integration.

Integrator is based on
Pentaho<http://www.pentaho.com/explore/pentaho-data-integration/> so
that can be used as an integration mechanism as well - although I haven't
played with integrator a whole heck of a lot just yet.