Exactly!  That is why many people are getting "ripped off" for paying $10 a
month to send/receive text.  The way I also understand it is SMS is on the
cellular backbone channel that is in use no matter if you use text or not.
 Sure there is some maintenance costs/effort for the carrier that comes
with providing SMS but probably nothing close to what they are making off
the texting plans they sell.  It is more or less free money.