My laptop is a few-year-old Toshiba Tecra M11.  It has quad i7, 8gb of RAM
and an SSD hard drive.  In VMware Workstation I can run the full ITSM 8.x
suite ok.  I give the VM about 5.5 to 6gb and this and leaves very little
capacity for things outside of the VM (MS Office, Dev Studio, etc.).

The ITSM performance is acceptable.  I really have to limit the SQL Server
memory but since it is just me and not high transactions it works fine.
 There are some operations that take a little longer then I would like but
for the most part using ITSM isn't painful.  This configuration is ideal
for a non-ITSM Remedy setup.  I have a VM where I do the
wwrug.orgdevelopment and since it only a custom app runnin on AR the
performance is
great.

The SSD is nice but I have to shuffle VMs around because it is smaller
(250gb) than a traditional HDD.  The hybrid drive is probably ideal.  I use
full disk encryption and I think that eats away a little at my SSD
performance.

On the other hand I have a PC with quad i7 and 16gb of RAM and the ITSM
experience is wonderful.  I give the VM 8gb of RAM and still have 8 for the
host OS leaving plenty of capacity outside of the VM to do work.  When I
replace my current laptop I am going to aim for a 16gb minimum as well
since I am so happy with this configuration.

Jason