From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of Koyb P. Liabt
Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 10:05 AM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: LAN Endpoint, NICs Remove?

**

Hi All,

For performance reasons, our Manager is talking about removing all the NIC
device CIs info from the CMDB because there are 130,000 NIC CIs that we loaded
into the CMDB from another repository.   The NIC info we are discovering
includes attributes such as:  Default Gateway, DHCP Server, DNS domain, IP
Address, MAC address, IP Subnets, DHCP Enabled (yes/no), Host Name, IP Enabled,
product classification, etc..  Remedy is being used for incident management,
change management, asset management, BSM, Analytics, configuration management,
SRM, etc… This is still a relatively new implementation and has not matured.  I
need to communicate the value of keeping this NIC CI data or the value of
removing this data.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  The Manager was asking
“Why do we need to see the MAC address/IP Address in Remedy?  What value is
this for support or our business? – I can go to another system if I need this
MAC/IP address.  How does this help?”

The next step would be to stop discovering NICs /network devices from ADDM
also.  No one has introduced Remedy to the Network team.  The server team has
not really been educated on the Remedy tool either.  The tool has been mainly
used for submitting tickets for incident/change.

I explained many points of why we need this data.  However I would like to know
your thoughts.  How is this network data critical/valuable to our business?