I don't know of any BMC marketing material on it. Usually it is the customer
testimony that does it for people... if they are willing to budge.

I would be tempted to go to one of your people who is responsible for dealing
with intrusion attempts coming across your web servers. Look in the logs they
should be reviewing. Do you see targeted IP's or targeted servers? If those
intrusions succeed, what services and service users are at risk? If the initial
intrusion report references an IP, you really should be able to start your
research effort from IP endpoints in your CMDB.

Your network and/or firewall people are the ones who will probably care the
most about this. IP CI's aren't just conveniences any more than street
addresses are for snail mail.

The links between IP endpoints and MAC address endpoints is something a network
person will know. There IS a distinct possibility you won't need them directly
in the CMDB because they probably have them in another system. If you have to
flex on this, consider a federated approach. Let the data owners retain it
where they want it, but arrange things so you can point to it all. If you
operate in a very secure environment, the links between logical and physical
network layers IS useful, but non-network people usually get lost in the
details.

-al