Brian,
It was actually really cool to watch the demo, they had it fully
functional.  You needed a server group, you make all of your changes, all
of them, to include deleting columns, etc.  You can connect to the admin
server in the server group to see the changes, work with the new workflow,
everything...the users remain on the other node(s) of the server group and
never see the changes...everything stored in the same db...then when all of
your functional testing is done you literally 'flip a switch' and the other
nodes in the server group arsignal, get the new cache, and it's 'in prod'

At that point all that is needed I believe was a Mid-Tier cache flush, and
the users were using the new forms/workflow 'in an instant'...

You of course still need all of your planning, testing, etc...but the zero
down time part was for the user.  All of the work could be done during
business hours, no late night, evening, weekend work to get the new code in
place...it can all be done next to the current stuff...it was an amazing
demo.