What version are you using?  I think sync cache has matured a bit since it
was first introduced.  On 8.0 I am constantly using it to see form and AL
updates.

One trick is you need to either clear your browser cache or force a cache
refresh by using CTRL + F5.  Also in the past I have noticed some issues
where changed objects being displayed via an inline panel are not easily
refreshed.  In that case I keep the form itself open in a tab and force the
cache refresh on the form itself before trying it inline.

Jason