My experience with disappearing fields came when I added a custom view to
HPD:Help Desk but did not register it.

Look at:

 View Selection Framework - View Definition: I'd search for records to see
what's there.  All of the OOB views should be there, like Best Practice and
Default User.

 View Selection Framework - Deploy View:  You may or may not have much
listed here.

Specific views can also be specified when using the client: Tools > Options
> Advanced > Default Form View

or in the AR System User Preference form: Advanced > Default Form View.

HTH,

Rebecca