Hi,

We have a serious issue.  Our company has strictly mandated that  no
customizations be made to our ITSM system - unless BMC does it via a  "Hotfix."

Management states that BMC informed them "not to  customize."  (I believe
it's more than an issue related to upgrades - not  sure what all was
communiccated).  As result, whenever there is a change  that needs to be made -
their
position is.." it's BMC's responsibility to fix  their application."  For
example, if there are OOB fields marked as  'optional" and our company wants
the fields to be "required" - then the  oweness is on BMC to fix it.  This is
what our company calls "a broken  piece of code that needs a hotfix."  (how
absurd).  Internal  developers are to administer the data and are not able
to create a form,  add a field, create an active link, filter etc - it might
"break Remedy  more."   Only four filters were created over the two years
from our team.  To make a code change, it requires several pages  of an
essay detailing why we need this new code, weeks of meetings to  discuss the
filter, Sr. Management must be notified, then go through the  CAB review board,
 etc....

Unfortunately, because of this "no customize" delusion, our  company views
the ITSM OOB applications as "junk" because it does not  meet requirements
that continually change as we mature as a company.  Harsh  statements are
daily communicated throughout our company over these  issues.  Whenever a field
and/or workflow does not match their "wish  list" - almost every meeting,
people are walking around complaining that  the "tool just does not work."
This is so far from the truth! I have  explained many times the concept of
"software development application" and  "developer."  BMC packaged ITSM based
on industry standard (and other  factors) that contains software development
applications that supports IT  Service Management.  BMC cannot predict
which fields you want to be  required in every single case.  Each company is
different.  Yes,  standardize as much as possible, however if you need to
modify the code to fit  your business requirement - then do so.

I spoke with BMC technical support and asked the technician what is  BMC
communicating regarding customizations - because our Sr. Management is
stating BMC warned them not to customize.  The BMC tech informed me that we
should not customize ITSM. ??  Where on earth is this coming  from?

If I needed to change the field from a numerical "9" to the word  "nine" on
a form - the decision makers on our team would flip out.   The reality is,
we have a great need to create tables to manage data and for  integrations -
however we cannot :(