No, if this is a 'base' form, and you want to add a field, you would add a
Custom field in Best Practice Mode....you should almost never need to go
into Base mode, certainly not to add a field.

Regarding it not showing up in Mid-Tier properly.  Remember that your web
server gets its cache from the app server.  I have seen people describe
scenarios where they make the change on the primary in a server group, and
then later find that one of the secondary servers didn't 're-cache', and
mid-Tier was getting the cache from THAT server, so it wasn't all
sync'd....so, if you have multiple servers, ensure that they all have the
latest definitions, then flush your Mid-Tier cache on all nodes, then flush
your local browser cache.  There has to be a reason why it's not showing
properly, but unless you have some weird configs (which do exist), it
shouldn't be because there are fields in Overlay/Custom.