OK, let me try to ask the question better.  I do understand that the CMDB
limitation is for files on the local (AI) server.

BUT: If the data that AI 7.6 is processing is read from one remote server
and written to another, and NO data is read from or written to the local
7.6 AI server, could that 7.6 AI server run the jobs, even if the data was
not from or to CMDB forms?

To be even more clear, I am looking for AI 7.6 to simply be a platform to
run jobs between other sets of servers.  Would the CMDB limitation prevent
me from creating Transformations against non-CMDB forms on other servers?
I'm trying to understand exactly where the limitation is enforced.

>From a practical perspective, I CAN access the forms/fields on both ends of
the remote data chain I described.  What I cannot currently do is SAVE that
Transformation.  I get an "Error 288: The requested operation is not
supported on the server".  Trying to figure out whether that's AI's
limitation becoming evident, or a mis-configured AI server.

Rick