Something I haven't seen mentioned but is very important as well is one
needs to be careful when crossing over multiple major versions.  The data
models from ITSM 7.5 to 8.1 are not fully equivalent so if you just
straight try and move all the data from a 7.5 system into an 8.1 system (A
-> A), expect some breakage somewhere, typical examples could be changes
with multiple approvals that are pending (in 8.0/8.1 there was some under
the hood changes as well as consolidation of change approval processes).
This is one of the reasons for a tool like DDM that does the version by
version conversion in steps (albeit painfully in the setup and execution
sometimes with workarounds needed but it's getting better and better
documented with every release it seems).

Straight shot tools from point A to point B are great for keeping say a QA
environment in sync with PROD since they will be at the same version (and
other similar requirements)  but unless you are sure of your data model
(e.g you are running custom apps), a straight shot movement of the data
from an older BMCs ITSM suite has some risks in an upgrade scenario that
need to be fully vetted as breakage can and do happen very subtly sometimes.

On a different but related topic, that CMT tool Sean mentioned a few emails
up looks pretty neat, kinda how DDM 'should' be if what it says is all true
:)

:wq cuga