I would not go with D either if I didn't want to pay my way through an
upgrade.

>From your description your path is fairly straight forward with only the
consideration about your database compatibility with your current
applications and other applications that use the same database.

Your options as I see it are:

I. Check if installing the 12c clients for use of the AR Server would allow
that client to connect successfully to the older database and not impact
operations on  the AR Server.

II. Check if upgrading the database but leaving the oracle clients at your
current client versions would impact those other applications that uses the
current Oracle client for those apps.

III Go with a dedicated databse for the AR System by installing as a new
install and then migrate your current applications using your preferred
choice of migration tools that are available for 8.1

Cheers

Joe