> 1 MHz does not sound like an unreasonable performance target for software
> and RTIO/processor communication optimizations. And we can have the
> large block RAM FIFO as you said, as a plan B that is easy to roll out.

If you think this is doable, then please go ahead with the further
optimizations necessary.  I think it would be nice to have the option of the
large block RAM FIFO with user-selectable depth (at bitstream compile time)
anyway, since it sounds not too hard to implement.

> With the current code, events that cannot be put into the FIFO because it is
> full are silently discarded. I can have the RTIO driver raise an exception in
> those cases. I propose that the exception be raised when the user attempts
> to read from an input FIFO that has overflown.

Sounds good.

> The FIFO can also be disabled when the RTIO input is in gateware counter
> mode (and no overflow exceptions will be raised in this mode).

Sounds good.

Daniel