The beauty of SMP connectors is that they are explicitly designed for
board-to-board applications with substantial tolerance for misalignment.  Each
board has a male SMP connector, with a female-female "bullet" in between.
These connectors, with the bullet in between, can tolerate substantial axial
and radial misalignment (in excess of .010" - basically considerably larger
than the fabrication tolerances of typical PCBs and PCB assembly) without
degrading RF performance.  Then one would have one multipin connector for power
and digital signals that fixes the board-to-board alignment, and the SMP
connectors can absorb the slack as necessary based on fabrication/assembly
tolerances for their placement.

I agree that if we can get suitable performance out of an FMC or other
single-connector solution, that would be better from a physical simplicity
standpoint.  We need to test this.  I may try putting together a board to do so
in the near term.