I think a large part of the reason for Iraq, was to the planners
view, to get a large wedge in that location. Whether it blows up in
their face, which it looks like it is doing, remains to be seen. As
for WMDs, while there was not unilateral agreement as to the extent
I think there is universal dismay that the kook didn't have any and
made believe he did. While our reasons for going in in the first
place may not be good, and it may have been the wrong decision, I
don't think we faked the WMDs. That is even more troubling however,
that so many got so much wrong. Perhaps I am naive, which is always
a possibility.

 --- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Tedesco"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> dan,
>  i am not looking to drag you into debate, i am just curious by
what
> you mean by:
>
>  "I thought from the beginning that Iraq was more about strategic
> position rather than WMDs. Say what you want, no one, not the UN,
not
> France, not Russia, no one, disagreed about their existence; only
the
> methodology of what to do."
>
> are you talking about WMD? if so, the UN, while taking the
> intelligence provided them seriously, had failed to come up with
> anything. Blix was asking for more time to be conclusive. I'm sure
> you know all this, my point is that the other countries wanted to
go
> through the standard protocol to determine the risk. we payed
cowboy
> and jumped the gun, and thats why we ended up with our
> meager 'coalition of the willing'. the fact, as we now know it to
> be,is that there were no wmd's. i tend to believe o'neil's (and
> others) claim that the bush admin was looking to go into iraq for
ANY
> reason.
>
> --- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "dfsavgny" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> > I really didn't want to get into this, but the last reply just
got
> > me. I will not debate the war. No one likes it and I was
> aprehensive
> > about even a valid pre-emptive strike despite my post 9/11
fears.
> > However, Skip, whatever our faults here in the US, I find
nothing
> > sad. I also refute your contention about US manifest destiny; I
do
> > not believe that it true for the past century. Every war or
proxy
> > battle we have fought in this century, whether right or wrong,
was
> > for philosophical and not geopolitcal reasons. Our hearts were
in
> > the right place but our heads may have been up our ass. No one
> likes
> > war, least of all the people it falls to fight it, including the
> > generals. Some would have (and tried to) had us not fight WWII.
> Over
> > the years we have tried to listen to our fore fathers'
> warnings "not
> > to meddle in European affairs." I thought from the beginning
that
> > Iraq was more about strategic position rather than WMDs. Say
what
> > you want, no one, not the UN, not France, not Russia, no one,
> > disagreed about their existence; only the methodology of what to
> do.
> > Will Iraq work? I don't know, but if it does we will all look
back
> > differently. Should Iran be next? Thank God I am not in charge.
> > never served in the military. I do not look for conflicts
lightly
> > recognizing that someone will have to shed their blood.
Hopefully,
> > if called, I would be man enough to serve or refuse to serve and
> > suffer the consequences if that's where my conscience led me. We
> all
> > wish that it was an indentifiable country that attacked us. That
> > would be easy. Two small nuclear devices have kept us kamikazee
> free
> > for 64 years. While it is healthy to question your government
> > (please don't question Jefferson, he was a two-face bigot who
would
> > have this country in eternal civil war), don't look past the
good
> > this country and its people have done. It was the European
powers
> > carving up of the Middle East and Africa that gives rise to many
of
> > the problems still in existence today, most notably, at least in
> > Africa, the French (ugh!). Even today, the US gives more
> > humanitarian aid to Africa than all other countries combined.
Can