I think this particular news story (that mimics the APP feature today) as well as the APP's story yesterday, are the first honest assessments of the issues that our city is facing.

What is most troubling is that it seems that no one on our current council (spare Hamilton and Johnson) has a plan on how to deal with these stark realities.  I base this statement on my fairly consistent attendance and participation at City Council meetings over the last 3 1/2 years.

As things "move forward" here in AP and the issues of poverty, crime, housing, displacement, job creation, etc. are not dealt with squarely, we will have two Asbury Parks divided by race and class.  I fear that a move in this direction has already begun.

I firmly believe that a community is judged on how it deals with its least fortunate, how it works to establish social justice, and how it protects the rights and interests of ALL of its citizens.

Beyond the hype of "redevelopment," we have real problems in this city and we need visionary leadership to deal with them.

Just my thoughts...  I hope everyone is having a wonderful day.

Peace, Jim Keady