On 5/10/05 2:41 PM, "bluebishop82" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Lightly,
>
> Please consider that Long Branch was never a place that depended
> upon Asbury Park - it was always a busier City, and when both Cities
> were in their hayday, Long Branch had the wealthier clientele.
>
> As for Belmar over the last 25 years, they were the tourist draw
> around these parts.  They didn't need Asbury Park for anything.

Sorry, but I live in Belmar (and work in Asbury Park).  I've lived in Belmar
for almost 20 years now and Main Street has never been in worse shape.  The
change to residential has severely hurt the downtown.  There are vacant
storefronts all up and down the town.  Even people in charge are beginning
to say that they may have went too far in changing the town (see the Coast
Star a month ago).

Beachfront towns should learn from things like this.  Belmar may have been
known as a party town, but tourism helped the town get through the year.
We're struggling now.  For any beach town to abandon the tourist attraction
of the beach is simply absurd.