"Fostering the uniqueness of Asbury Park is what could provide long
term value …to make Asbury Park just another suburban tract on the
ocean is unwise.  … your plan is just itching to make… Asbury [the
low-end destination].  We absolutely have to be more interesting than
Long Branch or we're wasting our time here."

The uniqueness of Asbury, whether you recognize it or not, is why we
argue; unfortunately, the factions that have developed, perceive
components of this distinctiveness as being the whole rather than what
they are, supporting elements.  Therefore, some of us revel in the
historic buildings of the waterfront, others the fine old homes, some
the urban grittiness of Cookman and Mattison, still others the
cosmopolitan makeup of its culture and community.  Unfortunately, if
we divide in support of the whole, in the interest of furthering only
our particular area, niche or component, we risk losing all.

I don't know what vision the current council has for the future of
Asbury; but their performance as stewards of Asbury's future, whether
under the agreement, negotiating its terms and conditions, policing
its execution, dealing openly with the electorate or protecting
Asbury's magnificent historical buildings; leaves too much unanswered,
unexplained and undone.

We'll always be more interesting than Long Branch; what we'd better
start worrying about with this council and their Master Developer is
resembling a low-end Lakewood.