Fascinating! Never before have I read a defense for ignoring facts.
I particularly enjoyed your revelation that what governs your
decisions are "feelings" an not thought! This now brings meaning to
many of your past posts, Skippy Paparazzi.

I am sending your "In Defense of Ignoring Facts" piece to the
Democratic National Committee. I expect  you to be named thier
primary speech writer shortly.

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "Skip Bernstein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> "…getting the facts right. ...this is an "opinion" forum (which
> apparantly means you can make up the facts)."
>
> I consider this forum to be primarily about feelings and
perceptions
> and I suspect the `lawyer' judges it to be about evidence.  I
believe
> Asbury's future, like its past success, is dependent primarily on
the
> subjective and qualitative rather than the objective and
quantitative.
>  I think communities are built by trades people but reach their
most
> livable and highest form when organized and assembled by
visionaries.
>  There is undoubtedly overlap in these realms but where divergence
is
> greatest, communication collapses as though we speak in different
> tongues.
>
> For my part I recognized, when the lawyer introduced government
> definitions of urban and suburban, that we were off to the land of
> hair splitting (rather than deal with ideas we would quibble about
> semantics).  The topic at hand, what would improve the function,
> usability and aesthetics of the boardwalk, an issue heavily
dependent
> on the subjective yet simultaneously requiring clear vision and
> execution.
>
> We seem to now have two parallel discussions, one is focused on
> dissecting language into bits transmuting meaning into a simple
> target; the other attempts to use this ill fitting tool, language,
> convey or picture what the final product, project, will look like.
> The former appears to require fact for its very existence; the
latter
> may coincidently weigh fact but needs to free itself of the
> constraints of language.  Somewhere there's an adage, something
about
> words and a picture.
>
> Two definitions, not from the federal government, which may
illustrate
> the difference in our use and meaning attributed to facts.
> 1.    A statement agreed upon by the parties to a lawsuit that
sets forth
> the facts of the case and the parties' request for a judgment by
the
> court based on those facts.
> 2.    Brute facts are opposed to institutional facts, in that they
do not
> require the context of an institution to occur. For instance, the
fact
> that a certain piece of paper is money cannot be ascertained
outside
> the institution of money in a given society. And that piece of
paper
> will only be money as long as the members of that society believe
that
> it is so. Being money is an institutional fact. On the contrary,
being
> a piece of paper is a brute fact.
>
> Our lawyer, a guy fond of big trucks, seems to be of the opinion
that
> if he can quantify or enumerate the bits and pieces of each issue,
he
> will then have facts to prove the correct choice.  I believe
success
> can't be tabulated but lies with the sensory; that we are
fortunate to
> have an outstanding waterfront, though worn not broken, and it
> deserves restoration and renewal to its former glory.  How we get
> there is simply splitting hairs.
>

> --- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "bluebishop82"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>