Sure Werner, I'll try to answer the questions one at a time:

>Do you like Asbury Park?

An objective observer would have to say I do.  Take a look at the
facts.  All my family history is here. I am a third generation
AP'er. My paternal grandfather built the Son's of Italy on Asbury
Avenue.  My maternal grandfather was a Deputy Chief of the Fire
Department.  I went to the schools here, was married here, etc.  I
still spend more time here than anywhere else. I collect the City's
memorabilia.

I moved my office here and took a marked hit in profits (I knew that
would happen) because many clients were initially afraid to come
here, but I wanted to assist the Downtown. My business pays rent
here and I create jobs here.

I'm currently under contract to buy property here.

I was a founding member of the Merchants Guild, and have done all
their legal work pro bono for 3 years now. I volunteer my time free
to the UEZ board.  I volunteer my time free to the Parade Committee.
I give money to every civic group that asks (believe me they ask
constantly). I've supported our Police Department so much that the
head of the Union for the State of New Jersey made me an honorary
lifetime member of Asbury's local.

I give historical speeches with a slide show to civic groups about
AP, and instead of taking a stipend (which they offer), I ask the
group instead to meet me at my office on a Friday afternoon, so I
can give them a free tour of the Downtown stores (I have to close my
office to do that).

I take the AP Press to task for being unfair to AP as often and as
hard as I can. Try asking them to do a story about my free Downtown
tours which is great for our stores.  They won't. They had no
problem printing the story about my office being burglarized
though.  See, it's only bad news about AP that's worth printing for
them.  That's why I prefer the Coaster.

I vigorously defend this City against people who say such things as
our residents "can't make an intelligent, informed decision" or that
we are basically a "racist community."

I would like to see the gentleman who originally asked me this
question to list what he does for AP, other than complain about it.

The answer Werner is yes, I like, even love AP.

Let me note this:  Taking all of the above together gives me no more
or less right to speak about AP or to be taken at my word on issues
about AP.  I have no entitlement to be right (or wrong) on an issue
based upon who I am, what I've done or what I've studied.  I'm
either right or I'm wrong because I am correct or not about what I
say, not because of who I am.

> Why don't you like historic buildings?

I do. I just don't see many here in AP.

> Why don't you like views of the Ocean?

I love views of the Ocean.  That's why I want to have one for
myself, preferably a condo on top of a boardwalk pavilion.  What is
that old saying?  "A developer is someone who wants to build a house
in the woods.  An environmentalist is someone who already owns a
house in the woods."  Sorry if progress takes away some existing
ocean views, but really Werner, if the guy who has a house just west
of yours complained that your home destroys his Ocean view there on
5th Avenue, I doubt you would tear your house down for him.  The
gentleman who originally built your house didn't buy the argument
either.  Now that you live there, I'll bet you are glad he didn't
care about his westerly neighbors complaining about loosing their
Ocean views.

>Why shouldn't the taxpayers be fairly treated?

What post did I make saying otherwise?  I'm sure you don't read my
column, but if you read my piece on the Kelo decision you certainly
wouldn't be asking me this question!

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/Y2tolB/TM