good point! definitions of refugee:
"a person who has been forced to leave his/her home and has crossed
an international border"

"Someone who has left his or her homeland because of fear of
persecution."

"One of the six legal immigrant categories, refugees are aliens who
are unable to remain in their country of origin due to persecution
or a well-founded fear of persecution based on race, religion,
nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political
opinion. Refugees are subject to ceilings by geographic area set
annually by the President in consultation with Congress. They are
eligible for lawful permanent resident status after one year of
continuous presence in the United States. Refugees differ from
asylees in that people outside the United States apply for refugee
status, but people already in the United States..."

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "Sharon G. Boone" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> I want to know why these people are being called "refugees"?
Refugees are non-citizens! They are "evacuees"! There are no
Haitians, Puerto ricans or Dominicans like residents here in AP.
These people are the descendants of French, Indian, Spanish
who "settled" New Orleans in the 1700's! Refugees? NOT! CUBANS are
refugees, not native-born citizens who have lived in Louisiana for
over 450 years! I am indignant as it is my home town and people are
being shuttled like cattle, separated from their babies, just like
slavery! I say Impeach Bush and fire that FEMA director! 5 days with
no food and water! I survived Hurricane Betsy in 1965 with 5 ft of
water in my kitchen downstairs. I survived Camille in 1969, without
a scratch, on St. Anthony St., which is now under water. I found out
that in 1965 the levee was blasted on purpose in the 9th Ward, which
is ALL-Black to save white Metarie, Was the levee blasted this time
to get rid of all the Blacks?  500 Black people drowned that night!
We are expendable! Can you say, "IMMINENT DOMAIN"? Blacks are real
savvy to the dealings of racist whites in the south! There's not too
much wool you can pull over thier eyes! The Federal government was
asked for funds after a dry run on this type of tradgedy a year ago!
The government saud, NO! The money was sent to IRAQ! The 165 year
old home of former White Citizens Council Member, trent Lott will be
rebuilt, FIRST! New Orleans is 78% Black, Asbury Park is 80% Black.
Watch what happens to New Orleans and Asbury Park will be dealt the
same, only on a smaller scale! Nothing changes! Spare me your
comments!

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/Y2tolB/TM