Hello folks. I'll fill you in on the Big Announcement at City Hall
this morning.  That press conference was followed up by a similar
one in Trenton.

You can probably catch it on News 12 New Jersey tonight and in most
of the State's papers tomorrow. There was a great deal of press at
both conferences.

Here is the deal, but I want you to know first this is not a
partisan event; I'm hoping it becomes multi-partisan so everyone of
every political persuasion and independents will want to involve
themselves in it:

New Jersey gives out Homeland Security money to the various towns in
New Jersey. Obviously they are supposed to spread it out according
to need.  There is millions of dollars at issue.

Asbury Park applied for a mere $200,000.00 of these funds. After
all, our entire eastern border is one of America's vulnerable spots
(the ocean) and our police force is currently understaffed.  We are
subject to storms and flooding.  As we all know from the past weeks,
local government must be prepared to deal with calamities because
the Federal government is not the first responder to disasters. We
are.

Of course you can guess how much Asbury Park was awarded:  $0.00.
Not even a phone call was made to tell us either.

The situation gets worse.  The 11th Legislative District is 25 towns
from Atlantic Highlands down to Brielle, almost all of them on the
Shore.  Well, those towns together were awarded $0.00 in Homeland
Security Funds.

Just north of us in the 12th District, check out some of these
numbers:  Freehold was awarded $157,000.00; Manalapan was awarded
$187,000; Marlboro was awarded $196,000.  I'm not begrudging these
towns getting the money, but it makes no sense that the Shore towns
get nothing.

Why did this happen?  I have to talk about parties here for a
moment, but I promise I will get right off it because I won't let
this get partisan.  The Democrats have the Governor's chair and the
legislature.  If you look at what happened statewide:  90% OF THE
MONEY WENT TO DEMOCRAT DISTRICTS; 10% TO REPUBLICAN DISTRICTS!!!!
The 11th is a Republican District so Asbury Park and the other 24
towns got $0.00 (Freehold Manalapan and Marlboro are in the Democrat
controlled 12th).

The Press Conferences I had today in AP and Trenton was attended by
the AP Fire and Police Departments as well as Democrat and
Republican elected officials from around the 11th District.  Here is
the plan:

I am suing the Governor and the Attorney General seeking an
injunction from turning over the money, to give all the towns a
chance to have the funds reallocated.

I am going to employ the services of Drinker, Biddle and Reath, one
of New Jersey's top law firms regarding public financing (they
successfully sued a prior administration over a funding issue and
prevailed).

As all of you know, "Justice is open to the public like the Ritz
Carlton is open to the public."  It costs money.  The last time
Drinker Biddle sued the state the fees were approximately
$100,000.00.  Therefore, that is my fundraising target.

The purpose of both press conferences today was to request donations
for this lawsuit.  I am seeking the help of people of all political
persuasions to donate, as this is not a partisan endeavor.  If you
think AP should share in the Homeland Security money, then I hope
you will donate.  I realize Asbury Park has several Katrina
fundraising efforts going on now, but I hope you will make some
allowance for your own Homeland Security needs by donating to this
fund.

If you wish to donate, call my offices at 732-869-1500.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/Y2tolB/TM