> Tom, I'm glad you posted this, reminded me to compliment you on
your
> article in opposition to staggered terms. Your ward system has its
> appeal, however, I am a little concerned with a large part of your
> rationale. You seem to using fear tactics with regard to the
>future of
> the city being controlled by the thousands of newcomers who will
>buy
> the condos that you seem to think were a good idea (and in fact
>you
> seem to place the credit with our Future Uber Council).
>
> On the one hand you delight in the fact that we will have 3,100+
>new
> units but fear that the residents of these units will monopolize
>local
> elections. I am aslo a little confused with yoour use of the word
>OUR
> when speaking about the AP elections. Do you vote here?

In answer to the above, I make an observation about governance in
general:  Throughout history, never does a group in power
voluntarily cede said power to another group.  Power transfers only
with a vote when playing by the rules of sovereignty, or war when
the rules of sovereignty are abandoned. In either case power wins.

For a local example, I have never seen the other 3 sections of
Asbury cede power to the South West side.  Once those condos are
built, as far as votes go, the new "west side" will start just past
Grand Avenue.

My argument is not based upon fear of the new condo owners, nor do I
allege they will be doing something "bad" by taking over. I would
too if I were in thier shoes. I'm simply pointing out the reality
that the power base will be centered there, so I argue to disperse
the power throughout the City instead.  It is a very populist
argument. I thought this group would be proud of me!

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/Y2tolB/TM