--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "wernerapnj" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> To use a phrase from a popular movie - "You can't handle the truth"

> - Terry Weldon had no credentials to be a City Manager.
> - The 'New Council' had no experience with redevelopment.

Thomas Jefferson had no experience in writing a Declaration of
Independence and James Madison had no experience in writing a
Constitiution when we asked them to do it. If Werner was in charge
in 1776 he would have told them both they weren't right for the job.

> - The 'Deal' has been attributed to the work of Terry Weldon.

Alot of others too. So what if it was?  The deal is good.

> - The Deal violated the existing 1991 redevelopment plan.

I guess you aren't yet ready to be an Appellate Division Judge
because they have upheld the deal.  Plus, the 1991 plan was dead in
Connecticut until the New Council got it out of there.

> - The City had no City Planner on staff at the time.

In house staff is no better than outside staff.  We had Duany.

> - The City's Historical Society was critical of the process.

The City's Historical Society was/is a joke.  I challenged them
years ago in a column to write historical standards for perservation
in Asbury Park.  Their response to me:  "Do it yourself." As long as
they aren't serious about preservation, who cares what they think?

> - A Council member took over the Historical Society.

Nothing wrong with that.

> - A 'New Plan' was written to make the 'Deal' work.

The world changed since 1991. A new plan was definately needed.

> - The New Developer has no development experience.

See Jefferson and Madison, above.  Besides, MD Sass, despite certain
people's perceptions, has a lengthy resume in saving troubled
projects like Asbury Park's project.

> - The public did not like the 'Deal' or 'New Plan'

Certain candidates who didn't like the Plan made the last election a
referendum on the Plan.  The people voted for the Plan in a
landslide.  There is my empirical polling data to back up my
assertion.  Where's yours?

> - Andres Duany was hired to be a mediator/planner.

He was hired to assist the City as a planner and negotiator.

> - Andres Duany had no credentials to do 'Planning' in NJ.

Dan S has no credentials to do apprasial work in NJ, yet no one has
a problem relying upon his words abut AP. Why not the same respect
for Duany? The truth is Werner licensure is not a perfect test of
talent.  Even without a license Dan can get approval to do work on a
case in New Jersey or any other state, based upon his talents.  Even
though I passed the bar in 2 states, I could do a case in any state
without a license there by making a simple application.  Same is
true of Duany.  Don't overstate the importance of licensure.

> - Weldon delared the City Historian Persona-non-Grata.

The City Historian position was created by Butch Saunders, a
convicted felon.  If your assertion is the Redevelopment Plan is
tainted because Weldon is a felon, does the same rule apply to say
your position as City Historian was tainted?  To say otherwise is to
apply rules to others that you don't apply to yourself.

It was a volunteer, part-time position Werner. It wasn't an
appointment to the President's cabinet. You have to put it in
perspective.

> - City staff was not asked for input in a timely manner.

Since when in America do we rely upon bureaucracy rather than
elected officials?  Let's have some respect for Democracy here.

> - State agencies were not asked for input in a timely manner.

Oh the state... You mean the guys that run such well oiled machines
as the DMV?  You mean the guys that managed to double our state
deficit in the same 4 years that 15 other states got rid of theirs?
Better for us that we didn't ask their advice.

> - Many of Duany's recommendations had to be changed.

Proof of a well vetted and open process.  No one got to rubber stamp
anything.

> - The Planning Board rejected many parts of the Deal and New Plan.
> - The Council said too bad, we have an Memorandum of Understanding.

The council adopted some of the Planning Board changes and rejected
others.  More proof of a well vetted process with no rubber stamps.

> - The City sold Public Property contrary to the will of the
taxpayers.

For the will of the taxpayers, see election results above.  Again I
ask for your emperical data on the will of the taxpayers.  I've
favored you with mine.

> - The City vacated Public Streets without compensation.

All part of a much larger plan.  You have to look at the whole deal.

> - Weldon was convicted of extortion in land use issues.

In Ocean Township.  Chris Christie has not made any indications that
anything was criminal in Asbury Park's Waterfront Redevelopment
Plan. You haven't either.

> - Taxes are on the rise with no ratables in sight...

>From my eighth story window high atop the triCity tower on Bangs
Avenue, I am "in sight" of 3 sets of ratables currently under
construction at the Beachfront.  It's quite beautiful.

> This has not been good for Asbury Park, and it's taxpayers.

It's been great for AP and the taxpyers have spoken.

> There is no reason to had to be done this way.....

There was one reason - it was the right thing to do.

Please everyone notice how I argue each point with no personal
attacks.  Let's count how many responses don't do the same. Shall
we?