"Mr. Lamle, however, suggested that some of the criticism comes from
those who sought to pay bargain-basement prices for development on
prime real estate."

Was he looking in the mirror when he made this statement?

Flashback, June 2001:
http://tinyurl.com/dlyhb

I wouldn't be surprised if Lamle & Sass were looking at exit
strategies right now. They have gone through a complete business
cycle with all of the easy money (subdevelopers) made and no revenue
generated from the Oceanfront for the foreseeable future.

With an inverted yield curve, defaults surging, and personal
spending exceeding income, "happy days" will be here again soon
enough for the vultures. They are going to have plenty more
opportunities to make fast bucks in other distressed property,
especially when they put the "Miracle of Asbury Park" fable on their
resume. Having the Oceanfront liability off their back frees them up
to screw up some other town.

I'll say by April Fool's Day they announce they're out.