On 2/27/06 6:19 PM, "Skip Bernstein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "How is it a town the size of Asbury Park would only have one, but a
> town the size of Belmar has about 4?"
>
> Geography 101; you can't put out the fire unless you can get to it.
> Belmar is larger (but 4?), Ocean certainly is and has 2, and I think
> Tinton Falls, which is huge, has 3; it's a time/space problem.

Hey we may have more volunteer fire departments than needed, but when the
crew comes less than 30 seconds after you place a 9-11 call... Well, you're
mighty thankful.

Most Shore towns - as with Belmar and Asbury Park - had rather significant
fires in their history.  I guess some towns wanted to make sure that didn't
happen again.  Some went with a fire company on staff and others went with
several volunteer units.

Since I've lived here we had one very big fire in town.  A fire that
probably would have burned about 2-3 blocks to the ground if we didn't have
all of the available units.  As it was, a good chunk of a block burned down.

Sounds like the fire on Sunday was an amazingly difficult one to handle with
the wind.  They did a good job.