--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, Allan Peterson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Beach numbers did well even with the increase.  From todays
app     Asbury beaches busier   "Everybody's saying it's the best
Memorial Day ever," Asbury Park's commerce director, Thomas Gilmour,
said Tuesday.   Garrett Giberson, Asbury Park's director of public
works, said the city made $25,200 in beach badge sales over the
three-day weekend, compared with $16,000 for the whole month of May
last year.

Very encouraging. However, we probably let a few bucks go by letting
5th Ave and Asbury beaches be free for the weekend. I understand the
decision that for the past few years free parking has been an
amenity and quite possibly a draw to outsiders (along with our lower
beach fees). Free beach parking is an anomoly at the Shore. I am not
saying that it should not continue, but there would be nothing wrong
with providing convenient and cheap (v. free) parking. Perhaps that
would be a deterrent now. However, a rebuilt waterfront (which
should have been done by now) would be more of a draw than free
parking. Not trying to be negative. Every improvement is
appreciated, but we could, and should, be so much further along.
Kudos to getting Asbury Avenue open on time. Brian Grant returned my
call a couple of weeks ago and said it would. The new interesection
(at lest the roadway) looks good. Good job.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/AHchtC/4FxNAA/yQLSAA/Y2tolB/TM