Don't fool yourself too much here.

What you're saying is true of NJ in general re: flight and how hard it
is to just get by.  However, my memories of Asbury Park are those
where one couldn't park one's car for four hours without the window
being smashed in by a crackhead.  I had my own car window smashed in,
not six feet from where I was standing all night long.  Generally by
the child of one of the so-called low-wage 'workers' that lived there.
 The place was a section 8 madhouse.

I watched a 'family' walking down the street while mom watched the
kids throwing rocks through the windows of businesses and her children
beating the glass windows on the cars parked on the side of the road
with a piece of rebar.  This in broad daylight about 12pm on a
Saturday.  Kids 12yrs old at the max.  A citizen tried to stop these
kids and the police were called.  Guess who the police hassled... Joe
Citizen that was trying to make it a better place, they actually
threatened the guy with some bull about menacing a child.  These
weren't children, they were animals, raised just like their animal
mother wanted.

I watched almost every Friday and Saturday night as at least two
police cruisers sat accross from Pizza Plus and just sat idly by as
near riots took place.  "Low wage workers" in traffic lanes, throwing
bottles at the passing cars, basically wilding in plain sight.
Stabbings, shootings, they just watched it happen.  They should have
sand bagged a .50 cal on that corner and started cleaning up the gene
pool.  Instead, I'm betting that scumhole is still in business.

Good riddance to bad trash.  I've only recently heard that I might be
able to go visit my friend the business owner in town as a lot of the
crackheads are finally leaving and without a 20yr old car, I might be
able to trust parking my current one on the street for an hour or so.
I haven't been back to visit in almost ten years...I worked in town
for five.

Be careful what you wish for.  The rosy eyed view of multiculturalism
isn't very sharp vision in the context of Asbury Park.  Just as with
Red Bank and Freehold, the rising rents will clean the town out and
make it a safe place to be again.  The poor bastard that took my job
in town was beaten pretty badly just outside the door of the busines
while he was trying to just work and mind his own business.

The housing market and rent prices are out of control in NJ, but
fixing prices and handing people housing won't do a thing for anyone
but lower the quality of life overall.  I've served in law
enforcement, I've worked nights in the club scene, and I've served
many years as a volunteer with EMS and fire depts.  Until you yourself
have seen up close and personal how people live and behave in
subsidized housing, you shouldn't wish for this to happen.  If you
actually have seen how they live under these conditions, you are a
fool to wish for it for Asbury Park or you live a safe distance from
town.

Go up to NYC and see what de-regulation of rents has done for the
city.  It's simply stunning.  I worked up there for six years recently
and it's actually safe again in major sections of Brooklyn of all
places.  This is due to having neighborhoods turn over to people with
jobs, who get up every day and have respect for what they've earned.
It's too expensive to pay rent on public assistance...and it's
working.

If you never saw Asbury in it's 'prime', go take a drive through
Camden or Trenton, they are both in their public housing, subsidized
program glory still.  Better yet, leave your windows down so the
'citizens' can come right up and thank you, personally, for making
their subsidized lives so wonderful.  Gee, why doesn't Corzine live in
Trenton?  He's perpetuating this caste system of economics like any
good Democrat, yet he and his family aren't living two blocks from the
capital building.  I wonder why?

The economic bubble will eventually level out, it's how the machine
works.  If you start handing things to people, it becomes a cancerous
growth on the economy and serves no one.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/SISQkA/gOaOAA/yQLSAA/Y2tolB/TM