--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Any  insights in this group about the "Broken Window Theory" to
reduce crime
> and  improve neighborhoods?

I've brought this up several times on this forum. Living in NYC I
can tell you that the difference in quality of life was drastic,
although, in later years, I think Rudy went too far and the police
were given to much leeway. A good balance took place post-9/11.

This City could use a strong dose of "tough love."I told the council
the other night that this city needed a benevolent emperor. Someone
has to step up to the plate.

Unfortunately, the first steps need to be tough and hard, then like
training a dog, you can loosen up. People of all races, income
levels, etc., deserve a CLEAN and SAFE place place to live. With the
right person you could do it in one year. The first thing that needs
to be done is to demolish all of the vacant buildings that Asbury
Partners or its subdevelopers own. They only attract crime. Within a
couple of years most of the city should be under video surveillence
and monitored 24/7 in a central command center. Ticket property
owners for not cleaning up trash in their front yards. Work a deal
with the state/county to have able-bodied public assistance
recipients involved in workfare to clean streets and parks. Curtail
all use of city vehicles after hours. NO ONE is allowed to take city
vehicles HOME or OUTSIDE of city limits unless on documented city
business. Mileage on all vehicles to be logged daily. Curtail use of
city vehicles whenever possible and reimburse city workers for use
of their own vehicles based upon certified logs. I will not even get
into the purported redevelopment. Increase affordable home OWNERSHIP.