--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, Lightgrw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >  When Asbury is a nice safe place to raise a family is when I'll
be
> >  back. I live in a town where, for adults, there is nothing to do
> >  and I'm not moving. I'm here because there is a TON of stuff to
do
> >  for the kids, which Asbury doesn't have.
> >
> >  So, yea, my agenda is to make a great, boring family town.

> Guess that could never happen again in Asbury huh?

> I know there are people (I think you were one of them) who HATED
the
> Palace.  Well, as a kid growing up, I absolutely lived in that
place
> and loved it.

Gary:
My kids LIVED in the Palace, on long, hot, summer days and even
though I didn't grow up here, my kids, did!

I grew up, with segregation, Black Mardi Gras, the Black Indians, Le
Reveillon, at Thanksgiving and Christmas, (a celebration of food,
where you visited the homes of your relatives and pigged out, on
creole delicacies),
the "Lighting of the Bon-Fires", along the Mississippi and Bayous,
to "light the way for the Baby Jesus", a Catholic thing.  Attending
Mass with all of the Catholic Schools, once a year, at the St. Louis
Cathedral, in the French Quarter, where young Catholics of Color,
didn't venture in, unless accompanied, by an adult or a nun.  We
weren't allowed there, due to the prostitution and Burlesque Clubs
on Bourbon St.  I was only allowed, to go to the Convent on St. Ann
St., with Sister or be in the company of my parents.  I am greatly
puzzled, by Black parents here, who don't participate in the
nurturing or the upbringing, of young Black children, here.  It
upsets and appalls me.  The proliferation of drugs and crime in this
community, devastates, me.  I don't know the experience or condone,
it.
The lack of action by Federal Authorities during Hurricane Katrina,
showed me a sterotype by whites, of no conscience, toward Black
American Citizens, assured me that racism is as alive as it ever was.
People like Tommy only see Italians and how they live, or how much
better, THEY, are.  I know that you are not like the others.

 Now I agree with you that it was offensive to see people
> who had never been in the place trying to force it to be saved,
but
> what offended me the most was that they only seemed to care about
> saving the logos.  I wanted to save the INSIDE.
>
> Asbury Park used to be a magical place.  That's why I hate the
idea of
> turning it into any town USA when it could be magical again.

***
> Upstage Magazine - New Jersey's Premier Arts & Entertainment
Magazine