--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "justifiedright"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Now you are commiting random acts of sociology.  You are reading
way
> too much into this.

How?

> > I made the point that our beachfront redevelopment won't benefit
> > > kids, but a West Side redevelopment will help kids (I base
that
> on their currently being very few Asbury kids living on the beach
today, compared the West side where there are many; probably
 most live there).

Now who is living in the past? The above is the basis of your
conclusions? Yikes! Do you envision the completed (yawn)
redevelopment to look exactly like it does today? That's not much a
redevelopment is it? Okay, I'll give it a try and hope I don't get
in trouble.

I see a lot of kids on the east side, but okay, I'll give you that
maybe there are more on the west side (but I don't know for sure). I
suspect that many of the newcomers to AP in the past decade bought
on the east side in the south and on both sides on the north. Let's
not kid ourselves, the gay community started a lot of the new
influx, so those who came came mainly without kids. Yes I said it,
generally speaking gays have less children in their households but
the times are a changin. They came to these areas for a variety of
reasons, the housing stock, the environment, etc.

Generally speaking again, AP provided relatively cheap housing for
those less fortunate financially. Many of them continue to be on the
west side. Many of them cannot now afford to move to the east side.
That will continue if the east side is perceived as a better area by
potential purchasers since the east will continue to be more
expensive.

However, what you forgot to factor into your equation is the
perception of AP as a place to own/rent a residence for people with
kids. As the perception by these families improves why would they
not want to live on the east side if they could afford it? If it was
perceived as a safe environment to raise children why would someone
not want to live by the beach? I think a greater percentage of kids
like the beach than adults do. Do you know kids who don't like going
to the beach?

> The point Fred and I made was that Condos on the beach typically
are
> not year round residences for kids

Why? Schools? Ah? Why not change that?

> kids, not families.  I never suggeted households without kids
aren't
> a family.  I have no idea why you are throwing that in there).

That was not my point, what I was saying was that if you think many
condo buyers will be gays why would you automatically assume that
they do not have kids?

I think it will be a while before we get buyers who will be
fulltimers with or without kids.

> I'll say it again: Those condos will not attract many year-round
> residents with kids. I'm willing to bet on it.  I'll pay you $1
for
> each unit that puts kids in the school system, and you pay me $1
for
> each unit that doesn't.

When do we start counting? I say it has to be when it is fully built
out. A dollar won't be worth that much at this rate.