--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, Jim Keady <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Jim,
Don't know why, but my eyes always gloss over when you post.  Saved
your link, also, "Why Getting Tough, Doesn't Work".  If someone like
you got elected by accident, maybe something would work, around
here!  With that heart of gold, of yours, this could be a better
place, to live, work and just be happy!  God Bless!
SB

> Allan,
 Please allow me to address the concerns that you raised in this
forum in the
> past two days regarding statements I have made both here and to
the press.
I will address the matter of public safety and the shootings that
have
occurred first as this is far more pressing than tourism.

>I agree!
>
> My belief is that the ongoing problem of violence and crime in our
City
> needs to be attacked on two levels - criminal and social.

There's absolutely nothing for these kids to do, except get in
trouble!  Whatever happened to Industrial Arts?  Woodshop and
Mechanics?  Are they being offered in school or is there just the
culinary Arts, school?  Not everyone, wants to be a chef!

> With regards to the criminal issue, you wrote:

> "Keady plans to talk with Mayor Kevin Sanders today, prior to
tonight's
> council meeting, about taking funds out of the community
development funds,
> some of which are earmarked for affordable housing, to tackle the
problem
> through recreation. "What's the point of building homes if people
are afraid
> to move in?" he says.
>
> WRONG!!!! Use the money and hire police. Make this town so tough
that if you
> go 31 MPH in a 25 zone you are given a ticket and there are so
many police
> in the town that if you do the same thing 2 blocks further, you
are given
> another ticket.

There's nothing over there, no beach, no park, nothing but shops,
that don't hire US!

> I am assuming that you were not at last night's City Council
meeting when I
> proposed the following to the Deputy Chief and the City Manager.

> 1.    Given that much of the crime in Asbury Park stems from the
drug
> trade and that Asbury Park is the REGION'S drug hub,

(that are brought in from other states!)

I want a regional
> solution.  I asked that we request that the Prosecutor's office
make it
> mandatory for surrounding municipalities to supplement our Police
Department
> so that we can flood the streets with officers and lock down the
Southwest
> Corner of town where much of the violent crime is occurring.

I agree!

> 2.    I also shared a concern with the Deputy Chief that residents
in the
> affected neighborhood had shared with me earlier in the day.  They
said that
> if you go to other towns (I used Wall Township as an example) that
you
> wouldn't even drive over the 25 MPH speed limit, let alone do the
things
> that kids in our town are doing.

I agree!

I conveyed that residents feel that there
> seems to be a much tougher attitude on the part of the police in
those towns
> and that there is a healthy fear of breaking the law and a respect
for the
> police.  I asked if the Deputy Chief could consider this and begin
> developing ways to create such an atmosphere in our department.

Where were the cops that normally are on the corner of Prospect and
Bangs?

> It is important to note that I was severely criticized for this
particular
> statement by one resident who claimed that what I said was a "slap
in the
> face to the Police Department."

Hey, lay blame where it is!

It seems that I could have used you there
> to support what appears to be our shared position on this matter.
> 3.    I also agreed with the Mayor's suggestion that we CONSIDER
the
> placement of cameras in these particular areas.

Might deter crime, might not!

I do have serious concerns
> about the violations of civil liberties that this might bring
about
and I will weigh this option with great discernment.  However, these
are clearly serious times and they MAY call for such measures.

We need to take back out streets, though!

> After the Council meeting, I spoke with members of the Monmouth
County
> Tactical Narcotics Team and the State Police about the current
situation in
> Asbury Park.  I shared with them my desire to have our Police
Department
> supplemented with at least 20 more officers and that I wanted to
have a
> situation where one could not walk more than a few blocks in
Asbury Park
> without seeing a police officer on foot.

I saw 2 cops on my side of town, walking in a block of 1st Ave.,
where nothing ever happens.  Wondered why  they weren't in that
pocket of crime, by the school.  Was told they were cadets!

> This afternoon, in the hour I had between the Capital Budget
meeting and the
> Affordable Housing Subcommittee meeting, I walked over to Bangs
and Prospect
> Avenues to speak with residents and business owners.  I spoke with
the
> owners of Sheffield's Market and let them know that I was sorry
that this
> happened so close to their store and that if they needed anything
from me,
> they knew where to call me.  I also visited the barber shop across
the
> street to speak with Clayton, the owner of the shop.  I regularly
visit him
> to find out what is going on in the neighborhood and how I can
help.  One of
> the first things that I noticed during my walk up Bangs Avenue was
that
> there was not one Asbury Park police officer walking that street
or standing
> on the corner of Bangs and Prospect.  When I went into the barber
shop and
> spoke with Clayton and his customers, I asked them if there had
been any
> cops on foot on that corner today.  They said that there were
not.

See what I mean?

So, I
> immediately called the City Manager and shared this information.
Within
> minutes, a number of police cars came past the site, which I was
please
> with, but no officers got out of those cars and walked the area.  I
> monitored the situation for about 45 minutes and when I returned
to City
> Hall, I immediately raised this issue with the City Manager and
told him
> that I want our officers out of their cars on the street on that
corner.  He
> assured me that he would address it.

So why are the cops always patting themselves on the back?  Crime is
as worse as it was, when Mr. Jordan was on the beat, so they got rid
of him!

> I hope this information is helpful in understanding my position on
> addressing the criminal side of this issue.  Now, let's talk about
the
> social side.
> When I was at the site of the shooting yesterday afternoon around
12:30pm, I
> began speaking with and listening to the concerns of residents and
business
> owners.  I also did the same today, as I mentioned above.  What
was unique
> about today was that I had the chance to listen with a group of 18
year
> olds, many of whom that were friends with Tylik, the young man who
was shot.
> I asked them, "How can I help you guys to not get caught up in
this stuff?"
> They told me that they "need stuff to do" and that there "is
nothing going
> on that's positive that they can be involved with."  I asked them
for
> specifics.
>

> Here was their short list:
>

> 1.    A basketball league
> 2.    Basketball tournaments on the weekends
> 3.    Flag football
> 4.    A place to go to listen to music, perform poetry, rap, hang
out with
> their friends, etc.
>

> I got a phone number from one of the guys that seemed to be a
leader of the
> group.  I told him that I wanted to sit down with him and his
friends this
> weekend and hear more of what they have to say.  I am not sure
that I will
> hear anything new as I have had meetings like this with kids at
the Boys and
> Girls Club, the Westside Community Center, AP High School, God's
League
> Basketball, and on the streets during my regular walks through the
Westside,
> however, it is important that we as adults and community leaders
continually
> listen to these kids and young adults.  If you are interested, I
would be
> more than willing to have you come and meet with these guys as
well.

You always had a way with the kids.  You listen!  Something no one
else, does!  I admire you so much, just for listening!

> You say that recreation is not the answer, but you're not in the
demographic
> that is caught up in the cycles of violence.  I am out there
speaking with
> the guys that are right in the middle of this stuff and do you
know what
> they are telling me will help the situation drastically?
Recreation
> opportunities.  While I value your opinion, I am going to give
significantly
> more weight to what these young men are telling me is the best way
to help
> them.

While everyone else is styling and profiling and getting their cute
faces in the coaster!  You're the REAL deal!

> So that you may better understand my position on this social
component, I
> have included an excellent resource below that may help to shed
light on
> getting at the root causes of the issues that bring about violent
episodes.
> http://www.inmotionmagazine.com/pedro3.html

> I hope this is helpful in understanding why I am so adamant about
increasing
> recreation and educational programming to bring about long-term
social
> change.
>

> If you have any questions, feel free to email me at
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] or call me in my office at 732-988-7322 or
> at home at 732-988-9985.
>

> As for the tourism issue, I request that you allow me to address
that
> tomorrow.
>

> I hope this finds you well.
>

> Peace,  JWK