The purpose of the complaints and my apology to the group were to
get you to stop talking about me, and start talking about Asbury.

I'll even let your last post be the last word on the matter.

Now, back to Asbury Park...

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hello  [EMAIL PROTECTED],
> In reference to your  comment:
>

> The difference in Mario's posts is he  never deconstructs the
> argument or idea, he tries to deconstruct the  person. Consider
> these from him (only since  yesterday!):
>

> Never deconstructs?
>
> The cherry picking you did for those brief phrases ignores the
long,
> excruciatingly long and boring for some here I'm sure,
decontructing I've done  here

(_http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AsburyPark/message/18429_

> In reference to Tommy's  comment:
>

> Stop stretching so far you're going to  pull something.
>

> Yeah? Like the following stretching and pulling you "achieved"?
>

> I checked out the link to the video which you claimed showed that
Zinn
> advocated assassinating the president. I watched it several times.
>
> 1.  In that clip,  the image of the aimed gun lasted about two
seconds.
> 2.  That image was apparently placed there, next to Zinn, by
whoever  created
> the video.
> 3.  I found nothing indicating that Zinn approved of that
juxtaposition.
> 3.  I haven't yet found the origin of that image; my guess is that
it  is
> connected with a movie that will be released Oct 27.
>
> Could you not be accused of a major stretch or, worse
yet, "Swiftboat
> Journalism":
>
> 1. Two second gun clip. > 2. placed next to clip of Zinn by
someone other
> than Zinn. > 3. Keady recommends reading Zinn. >  4. Calls for
Keady's
> resignation, in print and on the web.
>

> #4.  Now That's pulling something.

Standard
> Time  From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])   To:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mailto:AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com)
Sent on:

> Dan I'm glad you brought this up so I can take the chance to
> highlight a  difference.
>
> There is a difference between pointing out flaws in someone's
> argument, and pointing out a flaw in their person.
>
> Check my post. I  said Keady's plan was Cracker; I didn't say he
> was a Cracker. Identifying  his idea as Cracker is no different
than
> identifying it as good or bad,  right or left, correct or
incorrect,
> christian or heathen, etc. Calling it  Cracker is to take a
certain
> measure of it no differently than those other  measurements.
>
> For the record, I do maintain that a response to a teenager  in a
> Black community getting shot in the face, that Basketball is the
> missing piece of the puzzle, is very "Cracker." I'm arguing
against
> the  idea, not the person bringing it. I would call the idea
Cracker
> [...]
>
> ...You have  a penchant for…
>
> …compensate for incompetence or  ignorance...
>
> …didn't seem to remember their courses in documentation and
ethics...

> ...Tommy, Poster  Boy…
>
> …intellectual……intellec
> …cagey  lawyer…
>
> …Physician, heal thyself. And reverends, pray for more self
> knowledge…
>
> …you just don't understand complex thought or  nuance…
>
> See the difference? His posts don't attempt to point out a defect
in
> the person's argument, they attempt to point out a defect in the
> person.
>
> I'm pretty sure the complaints I saw on this board were about
that
> sort of thing. I'm going to do my best to respect those who
> complained and not do it. Whether others do or don't remains to
be
> seen.
>
> --- In [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(mailto:AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com) ,
> "dfsavgny" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > I'll put it in  language you can understand Tom, something that
> > know you and I are  sensitive to. How would you like it if
someone
> on
> > this forum called  you a GINNIE, a WOP, or how about a mafia
lawyer?

> >  Cracker
> >
> > Historically the word suggested poor, white rural  Americans
with
> > little formal education. Historians point out the term
originally
> > referred to the strong Scots-Irish of the backcountry (as
opposed
> > the English of the seacoast). Thus a sociologist  reported in
> > 1926, "As the plantations expanded these freed men  (formerly
bond
> > servants) were pushed further and further back upon the  more
and
> > more sterile soil. They became 'pinelanders, more sterile soil. m
> > or 'crackers.'" [Kephard Highlanders] Frederick  Law Olmsted, a
> > prominent landscape architect from the northern United  States,
> > visited the South as a journalist in the 1850s and noted that
some
> > crackers "owned a good many negroes, and were by no means so
poor
> as
> > their appearance indicated."
> >
> > In the African  American community, "cracker" is a disparaging
term
> > for whites. (The  OED cites the 1830s origin of white trash as a
> word
> > used by slaves  on rich plantations to ridicule poor whites.)
> >
> > Since 1900  "cracker" has become a proud or jocular self-
> description.
> > With the  huge influx of new residents from the North, "cracker"
is
> > now used  informally by some white residents of Florida and
Georgia