Not having read the article it's hard to comment, but on the face of
the argument I agree with you that they should use RICO, and any
other tool at their disposal, to go after the gangs before, during
and after they commit crimes.

That said, certainly this is not the only solution...

I believe that a key element of stopping gangs in the long-term is
to make it much harder to recruit new members - those who often
believe (true or not) that there is little real opportunity to excel
through traditional means yet see those who run with gangs and deal
drugs as the only examples of "success" - money, nice cars, etc...
We've got to provide a realistic sense of opportunity for these kids
to believe that the gangs aren't the only way out.

I also believe we have to give kids something to occupy their time.
When did you get into the most trouble as a kid?  When you were in
little league?  When you were with your parents or in some sort of
organized activity?  Or when you were bored and unsupervised...
When you've got kids raising kids and lots of single-parent
households, you've got lots of kids hanging around with nothing to
do.  While it's easy to say the parents should be responsible - they
aren't taking that challenge and many won't.  So we as a city have
two choices.  Provide things and places to keep the kids busy, or
recognize we'll always have youth-crime problems and just keep
throwing kids in jail...  By the way, jail is also more expensive...

And enforcement.  Use RICO - apply it hard.  Enforce a zero-
tolerence policy.  Get overtime officers from other towns while we
staff up our own police force.  And get cops and uniformed security
out of the cars and walking the streets...

I've expressed much of this before and typically get a couple of
notes that essentially agree before moving right back to bashing the
hell out of each other.  If my ideas suck, ok.  But there are alot
of smart people with differing perspectives on this board.  And lots
of people who are excellent at tearing each others ideas apart.
Tear away at mine, but please bring some of your own.

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "justifiedright"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The answer, as more fully articulated in TCN this week, lies in
the
> RICO statute.  It gets them before the crime, not afterward.
>
> You want solutions, in that column I give the solution. Cross me
off
> the list of people not doing anything.
>

> --- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "asburycouple" <asburycouple@>
> wrote:
> >
> > I agree that it is always important to size up the obstacle or
> enemy
> > before taking it on.  And we should do an honest assessement.
But