Stopping gang violence requires multifaceted approach
Posted by the Asbury Park Press on 01/21/07
BY RONALD L. RICE

After 9/11, the federal government took major steps to deal with
foreign terror threats. Unfortunately, we have an even larger and
more deadly terrorist group in New Jersey — violent gangs, whose
members place no value on human life and have no respect for families
or property. Gangs are thriving in both inner cities and suburbs.

Gangs are well equipped with advanced communications technology and
guns, and they are sophisticated in their use of street intelligence
to commit their crimes. I read newspaper stories every day that
describe the growing gang problem in our communities. That is why
ending gang violence is my top priority. Those news stories show
there is a connection between gangs, guns, drugs, organized crime,
money laundering, car theft, inmates, parolees and international
terrorist activities.

In order to address the problems associated with gangs and their
crimes, we must understand the cause and use common sense and
rational and sound judgment to develop solutions. The cost-benefit
analysis is a no-brainer. We cannot afford to let these gangs
continue to terrorize our communities.

In the last legislative session, in an effort to develop a system of
information gathering for defeating gangs, I worked with Senate
President Richard J. Codey and Sen. Nia H. Gill, both D-Essex, to
create the Gangland Security Task Force.

The task force consists of a diverse panel of experts who worked to
gather information on the conditions that further the formation and
operations of gangs. As a member of the panel, I realize this law is
a huge victory for New Jersey because it's beginning the process of
providing real solutions to gang problems. The committee's purpose
was to deliver to the Legislature a model for gathering intelligence
on stopping gangs and a specific plan for preventing others from
joining gangs.

The task force's preliminary report calls for a three-pronged
approach in the areas of intelligence, law enforcement and
prosecution initiatives; prevention and intervention measures; and
plans for re-entry and reintegration of former inmates.

In the area of intelligence, law enforcement and prosecution, last
year I sponsored the law that requires the sharing of gang-related
information among police, prosecutors and the Legislature through the
Uniform Crime Report. The information will prove useful in
quantifying the location, frequency and nature of gang activity.

Gangs members, whether young or old, use guns. With my bill, S-444,
plea bargaining and sentence reduction for weapons cases involving
minors would be prohibited. Another bill, S-1365, would address the
gang problem by establishing a gun court pilot program to expedite
gun-related court cases in Essex and Mercer counties.

As a way to deter outsiders from coming to the cities to buy drugs, I
sponsored S-449, which would require mandatory minimum terms of
incarceration and fines for those who travel to another municipality
for drugs. To stop gangs from recruiting those in prison via cell
phones, I sponsored S-448, which would toughen the penalty for anyone
caught possessing a cell phone in prison.

In order to stop gangs, we need to cut off their supply of members.
If we can prevent children from joining gangs, and step in to help
gang members get out and stay out, then we will make an impact on the
gang problem. Because children need safe places to go after school, I
sponsored S-1606, which would require the poorest school districts to
develop comprehensive after-school programs.

We need to provide alternatives for children who have already chosen
the wrong path. Another bill, S-437, would establish a Juvenile
Offender Community Conservation Improvement Services Program, which
would enable spiritual leaders and nonprofit organizations to get
involved and help children develop a sense of ethics and positive
values.

Keeping people out of gangs means we need to remove some of the
barriers to employment. Many employers are willing to hire former
inmates but require a driver's license as a condition for employment.
All too frequently, people lose their license for reasons completely
unrelated to their driving record, such as unpaid parking tickets. My
bill, S-452, would open up employment doors by stopping the
suspension of driver's licenses for failure to pay parking tickets.

To address the re-entry concerns of the task force, I sponsored S-
434, which would permit certain criminal records to be sealed. Many
of us know someone who has served a prison sentence many years ago
and has become a productive member of society. Unfortunately, many
cannot find employment because of their record. This is double
jeopardy for those who have already paid their dues. If we can
eliminate this barrier to employment, we will provide an alternative
to reverting back to a life of crime.

Gang violence is something we can overcome if we continue to work
together. I walk the streets in Newark every day and witness the
fallout from gang-related crime. I can't stop and won't stop until
our streets are once again safe.

Ronald L. Rice is a Democratic state senator from Essex County.