I hope this guy is voted OUT!

----- Original Message ----
From: rogerpoulard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, February 16, 2007 3:52:19 PM
Subject: [AsburyPark] Re: Pedophiles at the Market Street Mission

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED] ups.com, "justifiedright"
<justifiedright@ ...> wrote:

> Welcome Roger.
>
> I don't know about 7 homeless shelters, but there were not zero
> either.
>
> The state lists Interfaith Neighbors as an emergency shelter. I
> don't know if that is right, but if not, they should notify the
> state.

The information I got on that was from Jim Keady's blog in July of 06.
Here's the quote:
"In their literature, the group "Stand Up For Asbury" wrongly states
that, "There are 7 other shelters in Asbury Park that have overnight
sleeping quarters for the homeless." And the Coaster printed that
information in their July 13th edition without any fact-checking, I
later learned. There are not 7 shelters in Asbury Park. There are
currently NO shelters in Asbury Park that offer overnight sleeping
quarters for the homeless. There are seven agencies that offer
services for the homeless and transitional residential housing for
specific populations (abused women, HIV/AIDS, etc.) but there is no
agency currently operating in Asbury Park that would meet the loosest
definition of a homeless shelter."

> Also, I know City Hall was running a homeless shelter recently,
> which I did see with my own eyes.
>

> I went and interviewed some of the people at the City Hall shelter.
> Not one of them was from Asbury. One even told me that cops as far
> away as New Brunswick were buying the homeless train tickets to
> Asbury Park to send the homeless to our shelter. That's how he had
> gotten here. Your concerns in that regard are well founded.

Well, here's my concern - if this is happening and we can document it,
why isn't Asbury Park taking action to make the other municipalities
take care of their own homeless issue. Why isn't Asbury Park suing New
Brunswick to recover the costs of taking care of this homeless
situation? What is the city government doing to have this addressed at
the state level in Trenton?

> Regarding your quotes about the amount of sex offenders in the area
> now - I don't see how that helps your case here. If we had no rapes
> in Asbury Park, then I could see your point. Since we do have rapes
> each year, I think citing those statistics supports my argument that
> we should not be attracting more rapists.
>
> The problem is putting these folks in a residential neighborhood.
> It shouldn't be. This little beach town has done enough. Time for
> someone else to do some heavy lifting.

According to the Stand Up For Asbury website, the area is zoned for
"Light Industrial" and not residential. Although there is housing
nearby (in a city of 1.4 square miles, I don't see how its possible
for there not to be) it is not being placed in a zoned residential area.

I think my statistics may support an argument for ordinances to
prohibit sex offenders for living within a certain distance of a
school or park but not for the creation of a homeless shelter. The
city could work with MSM to create a shelter that will have a positive
outcome for our homeless population.

Although I would love other municipalities in this area to do heavy
lifting, it's pretty apparent that nobody else is willing to. Maybe
its my catholic background, but I just don't think we should stop
helping because we've "done enough" as a community. Most people that
have moved to Asbury Park in the past was well aware of these problems
before they bought property here... and just because a ton of money
and fresh paint finds its way to the streets of Asbury doesn't mean
that the problems just disappear either.