> Why is it segregated? Whites fled no?

No sir.

This was vetted over at Randy's Blog. Please bear with me as I go
through this here one time.

I'd love Frank and John to give me their thoughts.

I take no issue with the actions of parents.  Move where you wish,
pay for private school if you wish, and you have my full support and
blessing for both.

I also am not a big believer in busing kids from one district to
another (although sometimes to end de facto segregation it needs to
happen).

None of the above is what happened to Asbury.

It was not the actions of parents that segregated this school 10
years ago, nor am I suggesting we take kids from other districts and
bring them here.

Here is what happened:

Asbury's High School "District" is half of Belmar, Avon, Bradley,
Asbury, Allenhurst, Deal and Interlaken.

Those kids' home High School is Asbury Park.  If you aren't in
private school (which I support) Asbury is where you come.

And come here they did.

I believe it was 1996 (don't hold me to the date; I'll check) Asbury
noticed there was a drain.  Suddenly many of the kids from the other
towns were being bused OUT OF DISTRICT TO ANOTHER PUBLIC HIGH
SCHOOL - RED BANK REGIONAL.

Note well that no one ever changed the district.  The district was
still the same.

Asbury Park sued in a venue where the State Commissioner of Eduction
gets to make the ruling.

Asbury's lawyer never raised the segregation consequences, which the
Commissioner could have raised himself.

The Commissioner ruled that because Red Bank has such a fine music
program, kids who wanted to go there from Asbury Park's District
could apply to study music there.

However, he never changed the district.  He simply said let them
leave if they want and go to Red Bank if accepted. The district
remained the same.

So on a legal analysis, what the Commissioner created was a
situation where little Johhy Whitebread has a right to learn the
oboe that outwieghs the Constitutional Right of black kids in Asbury
Park to be in a desegregated school. Which of course will never hold
up in Federal Court.

After the ruling, every white kid from Belmar to Deal became a music
major and went to RBR.  Each school even has an administrator to
help with the application process to get the kids around AP and into
Red Bank.

I saw a statistic a few years back.  There were 67 High School aged
kids in Avon who normally would be in Asbury Park High, but 66 of
them were not there; most were at Red Bank Regional.

Understand the effect of this.  I'm not suggesting we take kids from
a different district and bring them here for desegregation.

I'm pointing out the opposite happened:  We took all the white kids
FROM OUR DISTRICT and bused them away to a different district.
That's reverse busing that caused the segregation; not the usual
opposite.

The school district never changed;  the kids in Asbury's district
were bused to a different public school district.  Our sending towns
did not change (although I understand Avon recently was approved to
start sending kids to Wall).

That left Asbury Park segregated, and it was done by the State
Commissioner of Education.  That is state action, which is why it
can be attacked constitutionally in Federal Court.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/lOt0.A/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/Y2tolB/TM