I believe the issue is as much (if not more) about wealth as it is
race.  Before everyone jumps down my throat - let me explain.

Bottom-line in this country (and everywhere else on earth) money
buys influence.  And when you don't have much money you get very
little access to politicians and "leaders", meaning it is much
harder to get heard resulting in less influence and ultimately less
action.

So you've got all of the BS that has occurred in the AP school
district for as long as anyone can remember.  Corruption, influence
peddling, political appointments, etc.,.  The same thing has
occurred in other less afluent places like Newark, Jersey City,
Camden etc...  There have been white superindenants, black
superinendants.  Nothing has changed.  Same issues, different
adminstrations, different boards.

Now how long would that kind of BS be tolerated in a wealthy
community.  Think this would have been allowed to happen for the
past 20 years if this were Holmdel?  No.  Because money and
influence talks - and politicians from around the town, county and
state would have been motivated not just to dole out funds but to
act.  The press would have been all over it.  That's why often the
worst issues in other school systems seem like a walk in the park
vs. what we face.  Other towns wouldn't tolerate it and have the
resources and political relationships to raise holy hell.

As for Asbury and the other cities - it is far easier for the
federal, state and county politicians to throw money at the problems
than to actually fix them.  That way everyone can look themselves in
the mirror and feel like they did what they could without actually
doing much at all.  And the money just makes the problems worse -
now you have the same issues of corruption, politics and the rest
all after a much larger chunk of money - the ultimate corrupter.

So that's why I believe Tom is right - we need to get the
other "district members" to have to make a tough choice between
sending their kids here or paying for private school.  Because they
are now getting their cake (sending their kids elsewhere) and eating
it too (not having to pay for private school).  There's no reason
for them to care about the AP school district - they are getting
their money's worth out of their taxes and their kids aren't
impacted.  Change this and several things would change.  First,
those folks with more money and influence from surrounding towns
would scream to the heavens about paying taxes for schools they
can't send their kids to.  They'd start complaining - loudly - and
be heard though the influence of their money and their contacts.
Then action would actually have to start to improve the schools.
These improvements would result in some of these households actually
sending their kids back to AP schools, improving diversity and
involvement.  And the cycle would begin.

Yes this is a multi-year process.  But an important one.

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Even if the law suit was won, the parents still can send their
children to private school or do home schooling.  Without vastly
improving the high school first and making  it a desirable place for
students to be, any law suit would be futile.

Park
> > High" policy is both appropriate and would have a good chance of
> > success.
> >

> > --- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "justifiedright"
> > <justifiedright@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Oak you have taken my ball and run onto a whole different
field
> > with
> > > it. In fact, you are not even playing the same sport with my
> ball.
> > >
> > > NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING in any of my posts has to due
> with
> > > inequality in funding. NOTHING.
> > >
> > > My topic is that we are sending the white kids away from their
> > HOME
> > > district. Get that? Their HOME district. That's why I call
> > > it "reverse busing."
> > >
> > > I understand people don't like busing when it is taking kids
away
> > > from their home district, to a foreign district, to create
racial
> > > balacne in the foreign district. I understand that is
> > objectionable.
> > >
> > > If that is objectionable, so is busing kids AWAY FROM THEIR
HOME
> > > DISTRICT therefore creating the segregated district at home!
> > >
> > > Why not make all the kids stay in their home district? They're
> > > making your kid do it Oak, but the kids in the Asbury District
> are
> > > given this special privilege to avoid AP.
> > >
> > > This decision was race based. It is the only one like it. It
was
> > > done with a particular purpose, which if you look at the
> > enrollment,
> > > worked.
> > >
> > > None of the matters you cite overturned Brown.

> > > not
> > > equal?
> > > college
> > > from

> > > guarantees,
> > in
> > millions
> > > of

> > highest
> > > Brown
> > school
> > > obviously
> > > Constitution

> > voting
> > > well
> > every
> > Board
> > > of
> and
> > > public
American
> > > educated.

> > > people,
> > waiting
> > can
> > Ms.
> > > should
> class
> > > or

> > > Law
Law

___
> Check out the new AOL.  Most comprehensive set of free safety and
across the web, free AOL Mail and more.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/kOt0.A/gOaOAA/yQLSAA/Y2tolB/TM