I agree with you on a lot of your points. As for concerts, I was really thinking of Paramount Theatre rather than Convention Hall. CH has had great shows in its history but it really isn't a great place to see (or hear) a show. The Paramount is the same size as many of the venues in counties across New Jersey that regularly host rock and roll shows, classical music and opera, comedy shows, dance performances, and live theatre. There's no reason why it should be dark 98% of the year.

As for repairs, virtually all of the performing arts centers built around the same time needed to go through massive renovation projects that cost a lot of money. Somehow - through private or corporate donations - they find a way to upgrade the facilities. That's what is needed to be done here.

I do think that parking will always be the issue that nobody wants to address properly and it's a shame.

On Apr 6, 2007, at 2:42 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

The state of Convention Hall is a big problem. It does not even have proper dressing rooms. Also the sound is not up to today's standards....Unfortunately few bands are nostalgic about Asbury and want to play there....They want to play where they can make the most money and be comfortable in a state-of-the-art facility. That is not available at Convention Hall. Perhaps it can be retro-fitted but the problem is, you are likely talking millions of dollars to bring it up to standard....Also parking in the area is somewhat difficult, and many people do not want to walk long distances from their cars in Asbury. I have been going to concerts in Asbury for 30 years and continue to do so, but I have my doubts about Convention Hall ever again being a viable rock facility. That doesn't mean they can't do the occasional show and also have other things there, like trade shows and the like. I think the building can still be made viable, but as a rock hall, maybe not...

The Paramount, on the other hand, has great sound, and, though it needs work, is in better shape than the Hall. I agree with Gary that it would be nice for the powers that be to embrace events like Wave Gathering and Taste of Chaos that draw people to the city. I remember in 2002, I believe, after the Elvis Costello concert, which sold out Convention Hall, my friend and I emerged to find out that the police had ticketed a bunch of cars (including ours) for parking in a restricted zone (supposedly the curb was painted yellow on Ocean Avenue). Only problem was, there was no curb left and the paint had faded to such an extent that you couldn't even tell if it was yellow in certain places. He fought the ticket and it was dismissed, but my point is, why was it necessary to issue at least 50 tickets that night, which left a bad taste in everyone's mouth after what should have been a pretty positive experience? Reminded me of the old WNEW shows on the beach when the cops would go up and down and ticket hundreds of cars for parking meter violations. I know, I know, they were within their rights to ticket people, but I just thought it was unnecessary overkill.

Jean

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 2:03 PM
Subject: Re: [AsburyPark] Re: scher

Hinge, But places like the Starland Ballroom have done incredible in today's market. Convention Hall and Starland aren't too far apart in size. The difference is that one has got state of the art equipment and the other is falling apart. On Apr 6, 2007, at 1:51 PM, Hinge wrote: > Wow,that's awesome! It brings back many great memories. Van Halen at > CH. My first ever big rock show, Charlie Daniels. I graduated HS in > 1979 and went to many of those shows. > Unfortunately, I think I can also answer my own question about why > many shows don't happen at CH, besides what everybody else said. There > is a huge gap in the music biz these days. First, you have huge bands > like U2, The Stones, Christina Agulara (sp) and all those artists that > need big venues like MSG. On the other end of the spectrum you have a > large number of much smaller, one hit wonder bands that are better > suited for the Stone Pony. Try and put one of those in CH and you'd > have a half empty hall. That leaves the multiple artist tours like > Rockstar Taste of Chaos and The Warped tour, and shows like that take > change settings online go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ from this group, send an email to: AsburyPark- free from AOL atAOL.com.