Dave,

You wrote:

I wasn't talking about Reparations,
OK, but the post you were responding to was about reparations.

more of one's desire to work at work, work  at getting work and the
opportunities that do exist.
Everyone should learn  MORE then one job, have more then career so if one
fails, one can still  survive.

I agree with all that....

I think the thread started several posts back with talk about undocumented
immigrants, etc., then moved on to English only, assimilation, etc.

Very complex issues from listening to the debates on C-Span during recent
attempts at "fixing" the immigration laws.  Doesn't seem to be down party
lines
either.

Personally, I hate going to Home Depot or any other store, turning over a
box several times trying to find the English version of  contents/instructions.

Once I do find it, the words "Made in China"  will most likely be there.  I
also hate having to push a button for  the English version.

My father, an immigrant from Italy, spoke very broken English throughout  his
60 some years here. And yes, he worked very hard -- to enable my brother and
me to better ourselves through education.

And yet -- at a nearby garden center, for example, I always get the  best
service (pricing, loading the car, etc.) from employees who are  brown-skinned
immigrants; most of the "white" boys there are rarely as  helpful.

I stupidly left my wallet on the roof of my car one day last year.  I  fell
off onto Sunset Ave, but I didn't miss it until I got to Red Bank.  A  day
later I get a call I could barely understand.  It was a Mexican man  (one of
many
who bicycle to work every day on this route) who found it and  all my money
and all my credit cards strewn on the street.  He asked if I  would drive to
his
apt just off Kingsley to pick it up.  He had put  everything neatly back in
the wallet.  The only thing missing was my Triple  A card which I found in the
gutter a few days later, so I know everything had  spilled out.

Yep, an anecdote.   But I still have mixed feelings, as in I  don't know
enough, about all the proposed "fixes" out there.

I do know that I can count on AM radio and some bloggers to stir up  more
emotional culture wars.
Isn't that how Sunni vs. Shia started?

I could be wrong!    _Click here: YouTube - But I  Could Be Wrong_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-5d5IfdYK4)