Anyone can update Wiki, but making it stick is the problem.

People there have seniority depending upon how much they use the
site. At some point they get granted a certain status.

Accordingly, the people who use it most are the ones who have time  -
high school and college kids.

If one of these guys with seniority doesn't like your post, not only
can he take it down, he can suspend your posting privileges.

Understand I'm not talking about someone actually connected with the
ownership of Wiki - I'm talking about another usuer.

So if some scientist wants to post something about stem cell
research, and a High Schooler with seniority disagrees, the High
Schooler gets to decide if it stays.

Popular site?  Absolutely - Mario's right we should change the
Asbury Park entry.

Reliable site?  Not a chance (proof is that we are talking about
having to change the entry in the fisrt place).