So here's what always bothers me a bit about the modern
day "conservative".  As I understand it conservative philosophy at
it's heart is about limited government.  Limited assistance and also
limited involvement in individual decisions.  And while I don't
always agree with individual application of that philosophy I do
respect it and in many cases think there is significant merit to it.

But those who consider themselves conservatives today have perverted
that philosophy.  It's no longer limited government.  Now it's
limited government involvement unless someone wants to do something
we don't like - then the government needs to mandate how everyone
should live.  There are so many examples of this, from Terry Shiavo
(I know I can't spell) to fighting gay marriage (why is it the
government's business who marries who) to a women's right to choose.
There are so many other examples...

If conservatives are about limited government and liberals are about
government involvement then I think the only real conservatives left
are the Libertains.  Because those who today label themselves
conservative are often just religious liberal, using the government
to drive their own agenda just as "traditional" liberals do.  The
only difference is that atleast traditional liberals are honest about
it.

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, Mike Hemeon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>