I've been to cool funky hotels all over the planet.
Funky and old outside is one thing, but wouldn't you be a little dismayed if
you spent that
kind of money and pulled up and saw broken and boarded up windows? What about
windows that are open despite the fact that it's raining outside?
I think that if you are gonna pay $190 a night for a hotel, no matter where it
is, the
company that owns that hotel should make an effort to have the exterior reflect
what you
are about to experience. Boarded up and broken windows, no matter how
temporary, don't
exactly serve a hotel trying to get it's feet off the ground well. But, maybe
i'm wrong.
Finally, and i'm not sure about this, but I think it's now just called The
Berkley, which is a
good move, because the last few years as the Berkley Carteret weren't very kind
to the
hotel. Go to tripadvisor.com and check out the reviews. Not a flattering
picture at all.