Mario,

I know you like to be tedious when it comes to facts, so I wanted to
point out to you that you may be misinterpreting what "Dottos" means
on Rush's show.

Not saying you are being sloppy; it's a very common misconception.
It's also a misconception that Rush feeds off of and uses against
his detractors, and I know you wouldn't like that;-)

"Ditto" does not mean that you agree with Rush or any of his views
(but it is easy to see why someone who doesn't frequent his show
would think that, considering the actual definition of the word
Ditto).  Dittoheads does not refer to some army of people who think
like Rush or praise him either.

Ditto is actually a matter of procedure on his show, that was
started by a caller, and Rush continued it.  Again it isn't
substance; its a procedure.

Have you ever listened to a call in show (politics, sports, etc) and
the callers usually start out by saying "hello, how are you, love
your show, keep up the good work, thanks for taking my call, I
listen to you alot, took forever for me to get on, blah blah blah?"
A lot of air time is wasted with that kind of preamble.

One caller to Rush's show years ago started out saying "Ditto to
what the last guy said" and then made his point.

Rush thought that since air-time is so valuable, rather than waste
time with the preliminaries, callers could get that out of the way
by just starting with "Ditto" and getting right to the point.  It
gives them more air-time. It leaves more time for debate, and gets
more callers on the air.

Even those who are calling to disagree with him are encouraged to
just say Ditto and get to it.  It's nothing more than a hello.

Thus, you will hear many callers say "Dittos" or "Mega-Dittos!" when
they first get on.  It's just procedural.

Rush and fans of his show get a kick out of finding people in the
media who misinterpret what "Dittos" means.  They take it as
confirmation that they are being knocked by someone who obviously
never listens to the show.

For the record, I don't listen to any of the radio shows that often,
but I do read most of the books written by the hosts.