If that were true companies like Clear Channel,
Entecomm, and others wouldn't be allowed to own so
many radio stations.

If that were true there would be local programming and
local stations wouldn't be automated and on satellite
from thousands of miles away 24/7.

The "Public Interest" thing that you refer to was
eliminated by the Commuunications Act of 1996. Oral
Clinton signed "the public airwaves" thing away.

Before this act if you found a frequency you would
apply for it during a filing window from the FCC.

Today if a frequency on the AM, FM, ot TV  bands it is
auctioned off to the highest bidder.

I hope the "people" have deep pockets.

Mike