Thanks Mario. I had 2 small victories this morning. One was a nice conversation
with the
assistant City Manager about fixing the lighting in the park. He said they'd
look into it and
get back to me later this week. Hopefully that will work out.
The second victory went like this. I left my house to walk my dog, and
encountered a nice
couple who my dog wanted to say hello to. They were really nice, they petted my
furry pal,
and continued on their walk. A few steps later the guy just drops his giant
styrofoam 64
oz. coffee cup in the middle of the street and keeps on walking. His girlfriend
said
something, and he mumbled and kept going. I then walked over and simply said
"Excuse
me, why would you drop that there when there's a garbage can right there on the
corner?"
He looked at me, said he's sorry, then very slowly walked over and picked it
up. His
girlfriend also apologized and said that he has a problem with this, and he
needs to get
over it and do the right thing. So, this time, he did the right thing.
Maybe this is how to effect change, one person at a time.
I understand that it would probably be hard for somebody to call someone out on
littering,
but if it worked for me, maybe it'll work for others.
When I think back to the 70's while Nixon was president, I recall that there
were frequent
commercials on TV like "Give a hoot, don't pollute" and that iconic crying
Indian. We don't
have that anymore.  i tend to think that it's not taught in schools anymore, or
at least not
in Asbury Park schools. I think that's a great place to start. Teach the kids
not to litter, and
teach them to pass that on to their parents.